I live in a room.
I live in a room [that one day, all of god's children, black and white, judes and gentiles, protestants and catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of that old negro spiritual: free at last! free at last! thank god almighty we're free at last!]
coincidentally, i live pretty near to MLK Blvd.
Oy!
i'm all moved in to my new place. i just went and bought a bunch of good food yesterday. i will email you all my new address shortly.
here is the finished ad i had posted on craigslist that got me my room:
$325 Considerate roommate really needs room to rent April 1st NE/SE Portland (SE or NE Portland)
Hello.
I finally arrived in Portland yesterday and I need a place to live (up to $325/month plus utilities) starting in April (or late March). [I would love a room in an older house.] I drove up here to Oregon from Flagstaff (Arizona) with my car and a small 4x8 u-haul trailer behind me. I am a non-abrasive twenty-year-old (male); I'm known to do my dishes and to keep a clean room/house. I pay my rent punctually and don't eat other roommates' food. My entire life I've always kept friends who were years older than me, so please don't let my 20 years deter any decision. I've no pets & have some community college under my belt. I enjoy cooking household dinners at home with my roommates. I've had awesome roommates of various ages in the past - in their 20's, 30's, and 50's - and I have never had any trouble communicating with any of them. I am pretty much friendly to all viewpoints and lifestyles that don't promote intolerance/hate or superficiality.
What I will be doing:
Although I have money saved, I will be getting a job right away, so as to keep that money saved. I'm planning on going to Portland Community College this Fall to continue with my liberal studies.
I buy the "good-for-you" food, a.k.a. extra firm tofu, nectarines are on sale, and avocados are overpriced. I prefer used clothes anyday; I drink in moderation, I don't smoke (cigarettes), and prefer people who could smoke outside. The internet can be nice, but I'm not into T.V. I'll hopefully be going to (local music) shows frequently. I'm looking forward to enjoying the sprawling new city.
Thanks for the consideration. If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to e-mail (or call me at 928 xxx xxxx).
Here's a yourspace link:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=7331205
I look kind of like this...

that's the end of the ad i had. that's molly behind me in the picture, taken at molly's house with here cpu's built in camera.
and.......
.......this is my new room:
this is a shot of "before" when i had just started moving in

here we have a view from the doorway entering my room

here's the li'l closet

here's the view from slightly inside the closet

facing the door

these shelves are part of the wall. below them is a cabinet w/ shelves where i keep my "non-hanging" clothes

i got this sweet chest/cushioned chair at a goodwill down the street yesterday

the staircase down to the living room, kitchen, dining room, and large bathroom

single, nice, pretty kitty (not allowed outside because of tough neighborhood cats) :(

the house in the one on the left, the top window is my room

this is what i look like today

and, lastly, this is the view from my window

so,
i went over to selu's house a couple days ago with joy (whom i picked up on the west side on the way). selu lives about 20 miles away in hillsboro, oregon. twee, his longstanding girlfriend was making a sweet dinner when we got there. joy started helping with dinner and selu and i went down to the garage and he showed me how to set the timing on his old jeep. (boring.)
then he and i went back upstairs and started helping chopping and setting the table and crushing peanuts. we had stirfried veggies and spring rolls with this really awesome homeade peanut sauce. selu and twee's friends from across the way came over for dinner as well. there were nice and from india.
today i'm updating my resume', grabbing a pen and some threads (acceptable clothes), and goin' about looking for potential places of employment. i'm gonna try that goodwill down the street, that would probably be pretty cool.
love.

1 Comments:
sweet post. sweet place. cool fotos. im glad you visited with those ol siblings. how are they doing? ill be visiting you some time this summer.
love
Post a Comment
<< Home